South Georgia Scores Two in the Second Half to Down One Knox

Photo by One Knox SC (@OneKnoxSC)

By Jackson Connell

KNOXVILLE, Tenn.- Things started slowly in Regal Soccer Stadium on Friday night during One Knox SC’s matchup versus the South Georgia Tormenta SC, but a strong push from South Georgia in the second half let One Knox fall at home, 2-0.

Neither side could find their momentum, due to a mix of good defending and arid passing, denying either side from getting good shots. The first half ended in a disappointing draw at zero.

The second half lived up to the drama that had been built in the first. South Georgia (3-3-0) made a crucial substitution in the 65th minute when Matheus Cassini entered the game. Cassini finished a Tormenta push with a bending goal at the back line, putting South Georgia up by one. 

Just a couple minutes later, during a good push by One Knox (1-2-1), Tormenta goalie Pablo Jara jumped up for a save. He was undercut by Knoxville forward Angelo Kelly-Rosas, sending him somersaulting into the air and slamming into the ground. Kelly-Rosales, already on a yellow he received earlier, earned his second. He departed from the game, leaving Knoxville with only ten men. 

South Georgia maintained firm control after that, keeping possession on Knoxville’s side. The Tormenta eventually broke through again in the 87th minute, with a goal from Jackson Khoury. 

Despite a two-goal differential, One Knox goalie Sean Lewis had a stellar performance with numerous impressive saves. A few of those shots were from point-blank range.

“I thought we were pinned back a little bit, made some adjustments at halftime, and in the second half, we gave ourselves a much better chance,” said Lewis. “It’s disappointing to give up a goal against the open play in the second half but it’s something to build on and move forward.”

One Knox SC will hit the road to Fresno to play against Central Valley Fuego FC on Sunday, April 29th, which they hosted just a game ago, a match that resulted in a 1-1 draw.